Each month our team nominates and votes on who they believe is their "Brawler of the Month!" This month our BOTM is one of our most driven FM of Season 2017!
What is your derby name and number?
- Slim Skatey #32
Please explain the inspiration and story behind your derby name.
- I honestly struggled quite a bit with finding the “perfect” derby name. I wish I could say that the reason I chose that name is because I’m awesome at rapping, but that’s most definitely not the case. Lol. I just wanted something fun and easy to remember…and it fits me pretty well. Besides, who doesn’t love Eminem?!
What is your position of choice?
- I’m still a work in progress, but I really like jamming.
How long have you been with the league?
-After completing freshmeat, I passed my assessments on May 9th of this year.
What is your skate gear of choice?
- 187 pads and Riedell skates for now.
What is your motivational quote?
-“It’s okay to be a glow stick; sometimes we need to break before we shine”.
Do you have your own derby theme song?
- Obviously, it’s “The Real Slim Shady” - Eminem
Do you have a pre-bout ritual?
- Not yet. Hopefully I’ll have my first bout soon and figure it out!
What is your pre-derby sports/skating background?
- This is pretty hysterical, but I was a cheerleader. I don’t know if it’s possible to choose two more opposite sports. Lol. I also ran track. Very little skating background.
How did you get involved with roller derby?
- Bellatrix LeRage introduced me to the world of roller derby. I had no idea how much I was going to love it! When she first told me to give it a try, I literally told her, “You see me, right? They’ll break me like a twig.” Haha.
Do you have any derby heroes?
- All the tall jammers. Seriously. Especially Scald Eagle!
Can you share with us your biggest accomplishments on the track and off the track?
- The night I hit Carla Gustav and actually knocked her down. Yeah…hands-down my biggest accomplishment on the track so far 😉 Off the track: my kids. They are the coolest little people and they make me so proud!
What are your hobbies?
- Well besides playing roller derby, I love spending quality time with my family, watching my kids play sports, hitting the gym with my husband, playing guitar, and traveling.
What is your job outside of derby?
-I work for Gulf Coast Monuments, which is a company that has government contracts for several veteran cemeteries in the U.S. I help design monuments for the deceased veterans.
Do you have a special message that you would like to give?
- Don’t get too comfortable. Meaning, life should be fun and adventurous, not monotonous. Learn a new skill, travel to new places, get out of your comfort zone.
Is there anyone you would like to THANK?
- My husband: Thank you for being so supportive and encouraging. I couldn’t have done this without your constant positivity!
- My babies: Thank you for being so patient with mama. I know y’all miss me when I have late practices, but I also see how proud you are of me, and it makes me so happy ❤
- My mama: Thank you for raising me to be strong and confident…you gave me all the tools I needed to make this happen!
-Bellatrix LeRage: Thank you for insisting that I could do this!- My team: Thank you all for the help you’ve given me. Even if you didn’t realize it at the time, those tips and pointers made a difference. I’m so grateful for all of you!
Portraits By Rosie Highers
Surrounding Sounds Media
Broken Bones Photography
Sean Murphy Photography
Forever Memories Photography
Memories by Amanda Lee
Jordyn Roldolph Photography
Women's Flat Track Roller Derby on the Panhandle of Florida.
PANHANDLE UNITED ROLLER DERBY